Monday, July 10, 2017

Reformation Women

I like books about history, especially ones related to the Protestant Reformation. I've read plenty of books about Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other reformers, so I was very excited to pick up a copy of Reformation Women. Rebecca VanDoodewaard brings us a glimpse into the lives of 12 women who are not well-known today, but who each lived out their newly-discovered faith at a time when conceptions of the church, the gospel, and what it means to be a woman were all being reassessed. During that time of confusion, "they were reading, writing, and ruling. They were teaching children, sheltering refugees, and balancing husbands. They directed armies, confronted kings, and rebuked heretics."

I read this book with my wife and we both enjoyed learning about these unique women and their contribution to the Protestant Reformation. They truly were amazing women, and they serve as proof that extraordinary faithfulness to God is a better legacy than a recognizable name. I'm thankful that Rebecca VanDoodewaard could reintroduce these women to modern audiences. They are truly exceptional, and both my wife and I were encouraged by their faith. I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment