Thursday, April 20, 2017

A Berenstain Bears Collection

It seems like all the companies are banking on our nostalgia these days. Why not something wholesome like the Berenstain Bears? Stan and Jan Berenstain first started producing the books in 1962, and now their son Mike is continuing what they started. These new books are pretty faithful to the art style of the originals, but Mike uses more overt references to the Bible and Christian teaching.

I love that Zondervan is releasing the books in 5-in-1 collections. My kids never want me to read just one story, so having a multi-volume book like this means we can snuggle longer. The Friendship Blessings Collection includes stories about following mom's instructions, working hard and persevering, being faithful to our friends, being nice to people who are younger than us, and valuing people with disabilities. The first story strays from the usual format by using a rhyming scheme throughout like Dr. Seuss. It's somewhat silly, but my kids loved it. Sometimes the stories include Bible verses or someone explaining what the Bible teaches. It usually feels forced to me, but the message is positive and it gives parents a chance to talk about their faith, so I can live with the occasional moment of awkward dialogue.

I loved reading the Berenstain Bears as a kid, and I'm happy to share them with my own children.

I received this book from the publisher in order to complete my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment