Sunday, October 23, 2016

Peru Trip, Day 6, Motorcycles aren't for everyone

Thursday, October 13, 2016

In the morning during our team devotional and coffee we had an extra special treat, biscuits with butter and strawberry jam. Santos shared with the team about our experience in Curiyacu the night before, where we met a family with a 13 month old child, Abram, who was blind. Because the four Dominicans on our team were doctors, they asked a number of questions and said that, depending on the cause of the blindness, the longer the child goes without treatment, the more likely the blindness will be irreversible. We agreed to talk to Pastor Jairo to see how we could help the family get their son to Lima for treatment, which we did later that morning. He promised to look into it and got together with Osvaldo, who ministers in Curiyacu, to get in touch with Ítalo and the boy's father.

During the morning devotional Enrique showed how the Bible emphasizes a pastor's character over even his interpersonal skills and teaching. It can be very easy to think that because you've had training and can recite a few Bible verses that you've taken care of the most important aspects of being a pastor.

Santos had all of our notes printed up for the students to take back with them. In the morning Jairo checked with each of the students to find out what resources they had at their churches, and many of them had little more than their Bibles. These packets of notes on the New Testament may be the only resources they have on the subject when they return to their homes and churches.

After Santos taught through Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon in the morning, I had to rush through 1-2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, and Titus in the afternoon. Because we missed out on training during the afternoon of the day before, I needed to make time for Aldo to teach on Galatians and Ephesians. Fortunately, the morning devotional all week had been drawn from 1 Timothy and Titus, so I didn't have to be as thorough. I managed to finish my training in about an hour and a half. Aldo was able to finish his training.

Pastor Jarvis from Tingo María, the guy who had ridden his motorcycle 9 hours to attend the training and who went with us on our excursion to the chocolate makers and the beekeepers, offered to let Santos and I ride his motorcycle. After a thorough safety brief, Santos took a slow ride around the compound. I too took a ride, and since I was wearing the one shirt I brought with a breast pocket, I made a poor man's GoPro by hitting record on my cellphone and popping it in before my ride. Never having driven a stick, I killed the engine on my first try, but Jarvis set me up right. A couple of loops around the grounds, and I realized that 1) motorcycles are dangerous, and 2) I need to learn to drive a stick.

After training was over I played soccer with the men from the training. They soon discovered that my height was no advantage as a goalie when I let the ball through the arc within the first thirty seconds of play. Towards the end of our playing I started to get the hang of it and managed to sacrifice my body to stop a goal or two, partially redeeming myself. Santos was off holding a limbo stick for the kids while I took a beating at soccer.

In the evening the women of the church held a special service for the ladies of the community. Santos and I were tired, so we remained at the hotel that night and talked about what we were going to do to help little Abram get to Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment