Thursday, August 11, 2016

God Gave Us Thankful Hearts (children's book)

Lisa Bergren is the bestselling author of the God Gave Us... book series that usually feature a polar bear family learning about the many things God has given us. They're great books, and my kids have a few of them on their bookshelf.

She has a new book out this month just in time for the fall. It's called God Gave us Thankful Hearts. It features a new illustrator and new protagonists, a wolf family. The story involves a little wolf pup who's sad about the changing seasons and his friends going into hibernation for the winter. His mama teaches him that even when things don't go the way we want them to, God has given us much to be thankful for.

I read it to my 3- and 4-year-old kids and they enjoyed it. I'd ask them questions throughout and they showed they were following right along. They love reading with dad, but I'm pretty sure they liked the book too.

As dad, I'm glad the kids were taken in with all the pictures. The polar bear books sometimes lack a lot of detail (the arctic isn't exactly a splash of color), but these ones were packed with it. There were animals on every page and colorful backgrounds that hit all my fall nostalgia buttons. They live in a log cabin, rake leaves, walk through the woods, go fishing, go through a corn maze, and pick apples at an orchard, which they then turn into caramel apples.

I highly recommend this book. It breaths new life into the series and was a joy to read to my kids.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment