Monday, May 2, 2016

Sharing a meal with people we've just met

Hannah and I moved to Buffalo for my job, but we wouldn’t have taken it if it didn’t come with an opportunity to continue ministering among Hispanics. Ever since we first arrived here we’ve been looking for ways to connect with Spanish-speakers.

We recently decided to be more intentional in our efforts. We found out about a special event at the library for the Día de los Niños (Children’s Day) and took our kids there. Our kids had fun and Hannah got to talk with some women who were there to support the event. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, after the kids are in bed, I visit a restaurant to order an appetizer and talk with the wait staff. So far I’ve focused on two different restaurants, and I plan to start visiting some more, but this weekend we saw the first fruits of our labors. On Sunday we had a few people who I met at a restaurant over for dinner at our house. We talked and laughed and had a great time, something I hope will be the start of a good friendship and, even more importantly, opportunities to share the gospel.


I’ve not kept it a secret that I’m a pastor or that I want to start a Spanish-language ministry here. When we had the people over I prayed over our meal, and Hannah and I talked about our church community back in Indianapolis—among a host of other things during the 2+ hours we had them over. I’m not interested in people as a means to an end. I genuinely want to get to know people here. But making friendships and sharing the gospel aren’t contradictory endeavors. And that’s why Hannah and I will take advantage of the opportunities that come our way to connect with people, share our home, and share our faith. Pray we would have more opportunities to do so.

1 comment:

  1. So awesome! Love the heart you two have for others!

    ReplyDelete