Thursday, February 25, 2016

Bumps on the road to Buffalo

My life has been wholly turned upside down. Almost a month ago I watched as almost all my belongings were carefully packed in boxes and loaded onto a semi trailer to be shipped to a storage facility in New York. My family and I have been living out of the few boxes that fit in our two vehicles since then. Derrick and Betsy Flowers hosted us for a week in Indianapolis, and Michael and Beverly Flannery hosted us for a week in Buffalo. We’ve also spent time in a hotel room.

During this time we closed on our house in Indianapolis, but the house in Buffalo has been dragging on, largely due to a lack of communication from the sellers. As of right now we’re waiting for them to finish some repairs (which they agreed to do and our lender requires be done before we can close). Despite having accepted our offer back in January, the sellers have yet to schedule the work to be done on the repairs, nor have they allowed us to take early occupancy of the property. Hannah took the kids back to Michigan to stay with family while we wait for this matter to be concluded.

I’ve also started working at my new job, which is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it takes my mind off these other matters for a good portion of my waking hours, but on the other hand, my workplace was quite unprepared for my arrival despite my having accepted the job offer back in December. I’ve been sent on various wild goose chases trying to get a computer and phone, access to systems, and information on policies since no actual orientation is being provided. A wall was put up to give me private office space, but it was not completed, and I’ve had to bear with a lot of dust while a worker finishes mudding and will soon being painting the wall.

In short, much of my present situation has been discouraging.

I long for a sense of stability, continuity, and normalcy. I miss my wife, I miss my kids, and I miss having a place to call home. Certainly there is much to be thankful for, and I’ve been trying to focus on the blessings like the sacrifices other have made by inviting us into their homes, the cost of the move having been covered by my employer, and even the extra reading time I’ve gotten to enjoy in the hotel room.

The challenges and disappointments have shaken me in some ways, but I still believe that God is orchestrating my life’s circumstances to grow me spiritually and glorify himself. When it feels like the presence of God is shadowed in darkness, I have no other recourse than to trust that his grace remains unchanged. Such an anchor, though unseen in the depths of the sea, will not relinquish it’s hold in stormy waters. 

1 comment:

  1. No one ever said it would be easy -- but in the end it will be worth it! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete