Friday, June 12, 2015

This reminds me why I love my church

Side By Side reminds me why I love my church. In the book Ed Welch talks about the ins and outs of being a part of a community where believers care for each other. In the first section, “We are Needy,” he tells us things we know deep down, but we frequently live in denial of them: we need help dealing with the challenging aspects of life; we need help dealing with our sin. As much as we try to convince ourselves that we have it all together, the truth is we are needy, and God has given us the church as a helpmate.

The second part of the book, “We are Needed” talks about how to integrate into our Christian community, connect with new people, become more intimately acquainted, and be there for each other in the good times and bad. This is where I was reminded why I love my church. No church is perfect, but I’ve been able to become close to a number of families at my church, and we do these things on a regular basis. It’s a kind of community that is sadly not as common as we might expect. Even still, this section gave me new ways of encouraging this kind of community and connecting with others in more personal ways. His chapters on praying for each other and talking about sin were probably the most beneficial because I find these are the two easiest areas to neglect, or, in the case of talking about sin, act unbiblically.

The narrator of the audio book, Arthur Morey, is evenly paced and has a grandfatherly quality to his voice. At times the book would benefit from more fluctuation in style, but that’s only a personal preference. His reading is still top notch.


I received this book from christianaudio in order to provide this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment