Sunday, March 1, 2015

A 5 Love Languages book for children

A Perfect Pet Pal for Peyton by Rick Osborne and Gary Chapman

Review by Amy Nawrot

I read The Five Love Languages seeking information to benefit my relationships with adults. A Perfect Pal for Peyton is a 5 Love Languages Discovery Book for kids. This story is about twins, Penny and Peyton, who are eager to attend their birthday party at Mr. Chapman’s Perfect Pet Pal Emporium. The party has been arranged so that their closest friends will attend, and all of the children will each receive their “perfect pet pal.” Mr. Chapman learns about the way that each child interacts with others, and then matches them up with an animal that shows love in a similar way. This is how the love languages are expressed in terms that children can understand. It made me realize that I, as a parent, can apply the love languages to how my children show like to receive love.

This book was an enjoyable read for me. I liked that the love languages were presented in a kid-friendly format. For example, throughout this story the children do acts of kindness for each another, and the author recaps those acts to reveal their love language at the end. Parents will find this a good resource for seeing how their children love. I also enjoyed the illustrations and built-in activities. There are bright pictures, things to seek and find, and the black text has random colored words that make the page appealing to the eye.

I did have one concern though. The book jumps from one scene to the next with no explanation. It made me think of the movie Elf where a book publisher sells a book even though it’s missing a page. I hope that’s not the case, and even with that confusing part, I found this as a beneficial read.

A review copy was provided by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment