Friday, November 7, 2014

Reading and memorizing Scripture with my daughter


This week we moved my daughter Abigail (3) into a twin bed and my son Lukas (1.5) into a toddler bed. This might seem a little young compared to others’ kids, but our children handled the transition well. I’ve also started reading to my daughter before bed from a five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year Bible book that actually uses Scripture. This book has a memory verse each week, so Abby and I practice it each night, usually with me saying the first word from a line and having her finish the rest. Based on our progress so far, I think she’ll actually have it memorized within the five days.

My mother used this same book with me when I was a kid, although I don’t remember memorizing the verses. I’m sure she worked on them with me. Now that I get to do it too, I’m hopeful that the experience will open her up to the truth of the Bible and familiarize her with its contents. Personally, I’m glad to be able to provide this kind of spiritual leadership to my daughter. She already sees me pray and read my Bible. Doing those things with her communicates something to her that merely observing me doesn’t. It shows love. It shows that Daddy truly values this book over all other books.

When I was a kid, Scripture memory was part and parcel to my Church experience. Now that I’ve gotten older, I’ve strayed away from it. Getting back into the habit is good, and doing it with my daughter makes it even more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment