Sunday, May 20, 2012

Noisy Neighbors

I've never really been bothered about living in an apartment. It's conveniently close to work and church and conveniently easy to maintain (no yard work, little interior work). The whole house-hunting experience has been frustrating at times, and even scary when I stop to consider some of the upfront costs (repairs, fixtures, lawnmower, etc.). Last night I was reminded that apartment living isn't always the greatest thing.

As I've been sick since Thursday evening, I have been napping the last couple of days. Yesterday I took a nap while Hannah went to Enfoque, our Saturday night Hispanic church. With no one to wake me up, I got a good three hours in. By the time Hannah and I were ready for bed, I was a little restless. Come 1:00 am or so, I hear voices and laughter coming from outside. Since I wasn't getting any sleep in edgewise, I came out to the living room and peeked through the blinds. Seven or eight people, men and women, were in the parking lot after apparently having spent the last few hours enjoying the night life of Indianapolis. I couldn't tell if anyone was drunk, but they were certainly being loud and obnoxious at 1:00 am.

I decided to grab my laptop and look up the number of the Lawrence Police Department. No sense calling 911 for a little disturbing of the peace. The officer on the other end of the line was nice, and I'm thankful for the men and women who work 2nd and 3rd shift just to keep us safe. He told me he'd send an officer out to check on it. Within ten minutes I didn't hear any more noise outside.

In the 3+ years I've lived in this apartment complex, I've never had to do that. Of course, Abigail has been thus far unsuccessful at waking me up in the middle of the night, so it's possible my snoring has drowned out any obnoxious noises coming from outside. I guess I was just lucky last night. Whatever the the reason I've never had to do this before, I'm very happy to be looking for a house if nothing else for the chance at some privacy.

Then again, that's assuming my future neighbors aren't like my friends' neighbor who occasionally stands in front of his sliding door in the buff.

No comments:

Post a Comment