Thursday, February 2, 2012

Basically Nothing, Right?

From January 17, 2011. I misplaced the file for a little bit.

If you zoom in you can see my contorted body wrapped
around her left pinky.
My coworker asked me if Abigail was doing anything yet. I thought for a moment and said, "She can hold her hands together."

He nodded and said, "So, basically nothing, right?"

True, in the great span of child and human development, she's not got much under her belt yet. Hannah and I are just thankful and excited about all the changes that are taking place. Holding her hands together is a big jump from what she was doing last month.

Here's a list of the big changes I've noticed:
  1. She can hold things. Including her hands, a rattle, stuffed animals, and whatever else we put into her hands. We're still working on getting her to reach for new objects, but she will grab and release anything we give her.

  2. She fits and sits in a Bumbo chair. This means we can prop the child up almost anywhere-on the table, on the bed, on the floor, on the couch-which frees us to use two hands at once, like eating, doing your hair, cleaning the living room, etc.

  3. The Diaper Genie needs frequent changes. Abigail's diapers are getting bigger because she's growing and she's filling them more often. Fortunately I haven't had to do too many that come with substance. Hannah also learned the value of making sure the diaper is strapped on correctly after having to borrow a shirt and pants from a friend we were visiting.

  4. She likes to snuggle. Up until now, I've been ranked only slightly better than complete stranger on Abigail's list. She'll put up with me, but she prefers to have Hannah in visual range or she gets upset. This past weekend she warmed up to me and decided she likes to snuggle. We keep each other warm and she melts my heart. What can I say?

  5. She's drooling a lot. I've taken to calling her Drooly Androols when I wipe her face. Clear drool is fine. When it’s cloudy white is when it's disgusting. Eeeeewwww!!!!

  6. She smiles. She's been smiling for a while, but it seems like the smiles keep getting bigger. She coos and kind of giggles, making most any time with her a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment