Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Yes, Hon, we’re going to need that

I may be stepping beyond the bounds of propriety here, but my wife feeds Abigail “the natural way.” Although at first she didn’t think it seemed so natural, she’s since gotten the hang of it (no pun intended). Hannah’s got it figured out too.

She’s not the all-natural au natural kind of person who wants to share this experience with mall passersby or the people sitting with us in church, either. That’s why we’re thankful to have a nursing cover. It’s like half an apron, only wider and doesn’t tie in the back.

Tongue-tied? I think it means she's concentrating.
Like any nifty tool designed to make our lives easier, it is only useful insofar as we have it with us when Abigail decides she’s hungry. This Sunday it proved to be as useless as a green binky at 4 a.m. (which is pretty useless if you’ve ever had need of one at 4 a.m.).

We got together with some friends to celebrate a birthday at a local restaurant. On our way in I asked Hannah if she had grabbed the diaper bag. That is a misnomer. To Hannah, a diaper bag serves one primary purpose—storing diapers. Since she wasn’t planning on changing Abigail’s diaper at the Olive Garden, she left it in the car. A few minutes later Abby started crying.

Fortunately we had Abigail’s green blanket with us, so we could engage in the natural feeding method. But I felt like a doofus for holding up a green blanket over my wife, who also felt very much like a doofus. At least we were both feeling silly together.

You’d think we’d learn. But no, we’re not into that kind of thing. So we went to a missions expo at a local church. Yet again we left the diaper bag behind. And yet again my dear child became hungry. Hannah and I sat at a table in the cafeteria area (how appropriate) while I held a green blanket over the two Wencl girls and tried to console myself with the fact that at least she didn’t have a diaper blowout.

No comments:

Post a Comment