Monday, November 14, 2011

From Hannah's Perspective

From Hannah:


It’s 9 pm and Abigail is crying almost inconsolably. She’s been changed, fed, burped, swaddled, and rocked, but still the crying persists. This evening is no different than nearly every evening from about 6 to 11 pm. The doctors called it colic, but the medicine they gave her for colic didn’t help much the first night we tried it. Sometimes I’m tempted to feel resentful towards my adorable bundle of joy when we spend most of our evening trying to soothe her every day. I remember when we used to be able to go shopping on a whim or watch AND hear a 2-hour movie in 2 hours.

I think that’s one of the reasons why God gives us children. They force us to grow up and become less selfish. I thought I had reached the pinnacle of unselfishness after getting married (don’t try to confirm that with my husband), but God still has more work to do. My life is a vapor of a few decades. But the legacy that I pass on to Abigail, she to her children, and they to their children… has eternal implications. That truth carries me through the screaming evenings right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment