Saturday, October 1, 2011

Abigail Means "Her Father's Joy"

The heart knows its own bitterness, and no stranger shares its joy. Proverbs 14:10

On September 30, 2011, at 3:43 pm, weighing in at 8lbs. 2oz. and measuring 21½ inches long, Abigail Renee Wencl was born.

What does a father feel the moment he sees his daughter enter the world and take her first few breaths of air? Truly it is an experience like none other I have had in my life. I could describe it as joy. Pure elation. Wonder. Excitement. Mystery.

This experience was shared with only a few. A doctor, a nurse, a nursing student, none of whom could possibly have felt the same way Hannah and I did when I saw her. Our close friend Roksana was there too, and we were all overjoyed. My joy was the joy of a new father, and not just that, but the joy of Andrew. Hannah may have had similar feelings to what other mothers have had, but no one else was pushing out Abigail. The joy of our daughter’s birth was all her own. Though we were all overjoyed by the same experience, Hannah’s was unique to her and mine was unique to me. It think that’s part of what makes it so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment