Monday, October 17, 2011

Getting Married can be Stressful

I was looking through my emails and came across one I sent to a friend back in February of 2008. I had written something on Facebook about getting ready for marriage being "stressful and fulfilling". The friend asked if there was something she should be worried about because she anticipated getting married in the next year or so. Here's what I wrote:


What is so stressful? The whole concept of going from having something to having nothing but the other person is crazy! For one thing, I worry about stuff, and if I'm not worrying, Hannah certainly is. We have all kinds of things to worry about, such as where to live, how to afford it, insurance costs, going to school, taxes, Christmas presents, birthdays, where to spend holidays, the wedding plans, and all the other things that go along with getting ready for marriage.
 It's kind of funny how we think we have to have everything worked out perfectly for a marriage that will last for 70+ years (if I'm lucky enough to live that long). We might as well be trying to figure out where we're going to live when we retire! Some things can't be planned for (i.e. what if Hannah gets pregnant the evening of June 14?), so worrying isn't going to help anyone. Even still, there are so many little details that we're trying to work out that it can be stressful at times.
 There is a lot of stress in our lives right now with the wedding, work, family, church, and school, but that really has helped solidify our relationship. I am so committed to Hannah that people at school don't seem to get it. As much as I may get frustrated, I know that God has brought us together for a reason, and I am comfortable knowing that He is in control—which is a good thing because I am not in control, and if Hannah were, I might worry a little bit more... Just kidding.
 Anywho, there is something so... fulfilling knowing that you love someone so much that you would give up everything for them. I guess that is part of the reason why God likens the relationship between true believers and Christ to the image of a groom and his bride. Well, it's late and I have to go to church in the morning. See ya soon, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment