Monday, October 3, 2011

The First Night Home

Finger-licking good: Sleeping as if last night never
happened.

I used to think I knew something about parenting. At this point I’m rebuilding from the ground up. My first night home with Abigail… I don’t even know how to describe it. As we transitioned from daytime to bedtime she transitioned from cute little baby to angry howler monkey. Until you’ve been up all night with a toothless, two-foot long person screaming incessantly a few inches from your ear you will never understand.

Thank you Mom and Dad.

This little exercise in futility lasted until around 5 a.m. Every half hour or so Hannah and I would switch being with Abigail. I’d rock and coo her as best I could, change her diaper, and the like. Hannah would feed her and do all the above as well (minus the diaper changing).

After four hours of fun Hannah and I relented on one of our convictions. We know that pacifiers can interfere with breast-feeding, since the baby can get confused over the different shapes she’s putting in her mouth. We’re willing to take that risk if it means getting a little bit of sleep at night.

Today we’ve taken a nap, and we’ve been trying to keep Abigail from sleeping all day like she did yesterday. I had a bad feeling that last night would be rough since she hadn’t been awake much during the day. Little did I know…

I’m hoping tonight goes better. But if not, at least I don’t have to go anywhere in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment