Wednesday, July 20, 2011

From my Quiet Time with God

I was really encouraged by a couple verses in my Bible reading yesterday. I wrote about my recent struggle with jealousy, wishing I had more money, toys, and status. I look around at people my age and older who have better housing, cars, technology, etc. Many people I know are double income families. Hannah works a part time job more because she likes what she’s doing than because of the income.

When you’re feeling this way the typical response is that you should think of someone who has less, who is suffering, and then feel grateful for what you do have. Is that it? Should I look at so-and-so who’s currently living in government housing or who’s on welfare and feel better? Should I consider the family with only part time employment and little or no insurance coverage? Will that help me be more content?

I don’t think so. It might make me feel guilty. I may appreciate the things I have more. But maybe the problem isn’t that I don’t enjoy the things I have, but that I’m not enjoying God. If I only seek satisfaction in things, all I have to do is lose something that I have and the problem will start over again.

There is an enjoyment of God that happens when we appreciate and value the things He has given us. That is true. But I want the enjoyment of God that happens when I appreciate and value Him. Just Him. Not “God plus this” or “God plus that”. I want to be happy in God.

I’ve known this for some time, but I’ve recently allowed myself to become distracted. Fortunately God has been working on my heart, both when I wrote my article the other day, but also when I came across these verses:


You fill their womb with treasure; they are satisfied with children, and they leave their abundance to their infants. As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness. (Psalm 17:14b-15, ESV)
I would encourage you to go back and read the context. The Psalm comes to a head at these verses, and it was here that I was encouraged. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment